twitter




Saturday, October 31, 2009

Is there a "down side" to having lasik eye surgery?


Answer:
permanent blindness
No
You won't look smart anymore without the glasses...
My doctor didn't numb my left eye enough, so I felt the cut. It hurt like hell! Aside from that I was happy with the results!
Blindness if they screw up the procedure.
it can go wrong and make you blind or it could not work at all.
my dad got it, you just are really sensitive to light for about a day after, but he's perfectly fine now and can see great without glasses.
You may find this website interesting:

http://www.visionsurgeryrehab.org/...

As these people found out, messing with YOUR VISION is not something to be taken lightly. What many of them have lost they can never get back.
One of my best friends, did that about 15 years ago, and today she is starting to complain that she needs glasses, so I guess it's just to put of the time for needing glasses. Or, you have to do the surgery again (which costs quite a deal of money)
So far not too much downs, but probably 10 - 15 years down the road something will be noticed about it. I had the RK back in the day and when I went to get my eyes checked the doc had a hard time not understanding why I could not see. He kept stressing that I should be able to see that. When he got his light out and looked in my eye he shared with that the Scarring from the RK had occurred.
So there's possibility that scarring could happen even with laser.
Years ago they did a report on one patient who's suffered permanent damage to his eyes. He see's 'halos' around every light source especially at night.

That alone would make me think 2x about getting it done. However, this was like 10yrs ago so the technology should have advanced dramatically since then.

When the surgery first became popular, it was really easy to tell who had it since their eyes became enlarged and really open more than normal.
yeah, it might go wrong and you go blind.
Halos are the biggest downside to to having lasik surgery. When looking at lights in dim light, there can be starbursts around it or a light surrounding it, which can disrupt driving at night. I have a telescope and won't get the procedure done for that reason. I don't want my night vision messed with at all. ;)
if the procedure is not done correctly there is risk of damaging the flap that lays over the eye (protects it), blindness, partial blindness and severe infection and dryness of the eye
some side effects of the procedure (but go away usually within a day or two) are: dryness, sensitivity to light, blurriness, dizziness...
My surgeon told me that there is not one single case of a patient experiencing blindness after a Lasik surgery in the US. I cannot find anything to back up that statement, but when I have read about the procedure on multiple websites, blindness was not one of the risks or complications. Here is what they are saying about the complication risk now:

"Complications generally were more common in the early years of LASIK, when studies in the late 1990s indicated that up to 5% of people undergoing the procedure experienced some type of problem.

Experienced LASIK surgeons now report in trade journals that serious complication rates can be held well below 1%, but only if surgical candidates are selected very carefully."

http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurg...

The only complication or adverse reaction I experienced was to my bank account. I went to a surgeon who had a computerized, laser system and ended up paying $5500 for both my eyes. But, I am very happy with the outcome. Less than 24 hours after my procedure, I was seeing at 20/25 (prior to surgery, I was 20/240). By my one week check up, I was at 20/20! No dry eye, no itching, no redness...I would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net